From courtrooms to conference tables, David has been entrusted to tackle his clients’ most significant and complex cases, including those that threaten their very existence.
From high-profile matters and “bet-the-company” litigation to the most common challenges, David provides proven talent in every role for every type of dispute. David is uniquely qualified to provide business advice to his clients as he was the co-founder of two technology companies located in California, has been providing general counsel services to more than a hundred hospitality companies, hotels and plaza owners.
Areas of Practice
- Banking, including creditors rights
- Casualty risks
- Class actions and mass tort litigation
- Business disputes across all sectors, including manufacturing, hospitality and financial institutions
- Corporate and shareholder disputes
- Personal services including Inheritance, fiduciary and trust disputes and family law.
- Personal Injury
- Mass Tort Litigation David filed four actions against predatory lenders resulting in more than 398 Plaintiffs prevailing against the banks, corrupt appraisers and developers winning a settlement worth more than $100 Million. “I respect lawyers who take hard cases, and this is a very hard case. I don’t know how you could have done it any better Mr. Binkley” United States District Judge Malcolm Howard (Eastern District of North Carolina)
- Class Action Defense Represented Michigan’s largest Domino’s franchisee in a minimum wage, Fair Labor Standards Act matter defeating Plaintiff’s $33 Million claim.
- Shareholder Litigation Successfully represented majority shareholders in actions filed by minority shareholders.
- Premises Liability Lead counsel in the defense of multiple claims for personal injury for business owners.
- Commercial Property Litigation Lead counsel on behalf of purchasers for claims against seller of commercial property development
- Products Liability Defense Lead counsel in the defense of a press manufacturer accused of causing catastrophic injuries.
- Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Lead counsel in carbon monoxide poisoning case on behalf of three individuals resulting in a $1.4 Million arbitration award.
David has been actively engaged in family law cases for 40 years. He is also a dedicated single father and therefore knows the difficulties associated with divorce personally and professionally.
David has perfected a pretrial strategy in family law designed to achieve identifiable, personal goals for the client. Goals, Strategy, Tactics, Execution
Goals need to be set before the case begins. Then a strategy is developed to achieve those goals. David says “the client should never engage in any activity that isn’t goal directed” Tactics are the litigation tools perfected in more than a hundred trials. Execution is putting it all together.
David says: “Every client’s goals are different but my goals remain the same in every case. Educate the client so he/she can make informed, well considered decisions. Always keep the client advised. Review the goals and correct the strategy whenever necessary”
David Binkley practices civil law in both trial and appellate courts. He has handled some of the most complex, challenging and high profile cases in Michigan, North Carolina and Virginia and is recognized as one of the most successful trial attorneys in our area. He represents numerous companies and individuals in complex and significant business disputes and “bet-your-company” cases. He has tried dozens of civil cases to verdict and has argued in the Michigan Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court and the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals.
David is a trusted advisor to his clients and is committed to being hands on with each and every one of them. He strongly believes in setting goals for his clients along with strategies and tactics to execute those goals. He makes it his practice to educate them about their case so they are well prepared and empowered to make the tough decisions. He takes great pride in knowing that in the end his clients have a complete understanding as to what happened and why. In fact, his clients would say that David is straightforward and honest and will tell you whatever you need to know about your case, even when you don’t want to hear it.
David is highly respected and sought out in Oakland, Macomb and Wayne County. He has gained an AV Preeminent® Rating status from Martindale-Hubbell® for his strong legal ability and high ethical standards, and has been recognized by Super Lawyers® since 2009
David gives back to the community. He spent seven years as the coach for Christian Leadership Academy in the Michigan Mock Trial competition, and in two of those years his teams made it to the State Finals. He coached Pee Wee hockey, baseball and softball for many years, regularly teaches and mentors summer associates, is a volunteer speaker at Kensington Church’s Divorce Recovery program and is a guest lecturer at University of Detroit Mercy Law School. He has also served on Board of the Judson Center.